Saturday, October 8, 2011

Vishakhapatnam Views


A view from Thodlakonda.


From one of the many parks dotting the beach road


A stream outside the Borra caves

Each coral was at least one foot across

My gallant archer, outside the tribal village museum at Aruku Valley

The SRE and I spent his Puja break in Vishakhapatnam, aka Vizag, a city I had long wanted to visit because of its fabled vistas of both the sea and the mountains. It more than lived up to our expectations. We relaxed, strolled along the beach, lazed, and then, of course, had to have a day of driving in the hills!!!! These were not as steep as the mountains in Darjeeling or Bhutan, but were hill roads nevertheless- not scary, but rather tiring, especially when you encounter lengthy traffic jams both while going to and returning to the beautiful Aruku Valley.
The people we met were warm, courteous, and hospitable. We had only one encounter with Andhra style cooking, a dal fry at a restaurant in Aruku Valley, which was probably the chilli-hottest dal we've ever eaten.

We had a lovely time, and I want to visit many more places in my beautiful country.

11 comments:

Just Like That said...

Lovely indeed. Were the corals under water? they don't look so... forgive the stupid comment :-D

dipali said...

@Just Like That: Valid question! The corals were under a palm tree in the hotel garden.

Sands said...

another place to add to my list of must see places :) Looks lovely!

Neera said...

Looks refreshing and lovely :)

dipali said...

@Sands: It is really beautiful!
@Neera: It is lovely. I'm glad we went there.

radha said...

I went to Vizag long ago and I just loved it. Especially the places around it. Traveling by train to Araku is lovely. It has been a long time, and I am glad the place looks like it did a decade ago.

dipali said...

@radha: The train is booked way in advance! We had to drive there, but it was worth it. Truly a beautiful place.

Sue said...

And you met Rahul Niyogy and his grandparents. :)

Lovely pics. The SRE does make a dashing archer.

dipali said...

@Sue: We had a lovely time with both your son and his grandparents:)

Anonymous said...

lucky you are,D! i hardly travel now. i just do to del-mum-del circuit!:)

dipali said...

It's only now that I'm travelling a lot more than I did!