Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Joyful!


This neem tree grows outside our compound wall, and its beautiful foliage spreads almost to the balcony of what we still call my parents' room. (It also spreads generously outside that bedroom window, a pretty sight indeed). It is a tree I love, and have longed to caress for such a long time.     I'm also quite nervous of toppling from our second floor balcony, so I try and reach for it with both feet planted firmly on the floor. Today, after months of trying, I finally managed to touch a sprig of leaves. I ate two, tiny tender leaves, savouring their bitterness, and then stroked the leaves that I could reach. I hope, today, that the tree knows that I love it!


11 comments:

Sue said...

Your post made me smile. I don't go up to our roof very often but every time I do, I admire our neem tree and our mango tree. Just seeing them makes me feel good, especially now that the new leaves are coming in every day.

dipali said...

@Sue, Yes, there's something magical about new leaves!

Kamini Gopal said...

I do that all the time - even when I wait for the kid's van to come - just walk past the bushes and trees caressing the leaves or gently patting them. So magical the connect with plants.

dipali said...

@Kamini: I'm sure they all love you too:)

Sujatha Bagal said...

Looks like you're still growing taller! :) I remember trying to use the neem tree stick as a stand-in for a toothbrush because I saw other people doing it. Their foliage is quite something.

dipali said...

@Sujatha: That would be something! I'm as tall/short as ever:)
I was fascinated by the neem twig toothbrush but I've never ever tried it!

yasmeen sait said...

Neem is magical :)

yasmeen sait said...

Neem is Magical !

dipali said...

@Yasmeen: Indeed it is! You have a lovely one too:)

Anonymous said...

I remember from childhood using neem twig for a toothbrush, Dipali. All I remember is you chew and chew. Lovely blog. Abha

dipali said...

@Abha: Thank you! Don't the twigs tast bitter?