Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Five Pointed Tag

I've been tagged by Aanchal for this one. Somewhat tricky as I've only written thirty-odd posts. (Alright, alright, I know that some of them are very odd).

Here are the rules:
Post 5 links to 5 of your previously written posts. The posts have to relate to the 5 key words given (family, friend, yourself, your love, anything you like). Tag 5 other friends to do this meme. Try to tag at least 2 new acquaintances (if not, your current blog buddies will do) so that you get to know them each a little bit better. Now don’t forget to read the archived posts and leave comments.

Family: My family seems to figure in lots of my posts, including the last one on my parents' wedding anniversary. But here I'll go back to a post that is about the next generation, about my children. Though I was very wary of their response, my kids were kind enough not to slaughter me when I wrote this.

Friend: To the very first friend I made in the blog world, Lalita, a tribute on her fiftieth birthday.

Yourself: My quirks, as requested by fellow bloggers, in two instalments, here and here.

Your love: I realise that I have used the word 'love' only once in all my posts till now, in my very first post about cellphones. (In the very last paragraph). Though I haven't said it before on this blog, the Sometimes Resident Engineer is the love of my life, so in his honour I'm adding one post by him, and one post about one of his more irritating habits.

Anything you like: Something that I have loved for almost forty years now is Desiderata.
A post of mine that I really like is this one, about changes that I've seen in both language and architecture.

The people I would like to tag are Neera, CeeKay, Jawahara, Yashodhara and Kiran.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi dear...

Good to know about you....

You havbe used this word love...only once...stange I find it:-)))

Chakoli

Anonymous said...

This tag is going around really fast :) I am looking forward to reading your old posts!

ani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

wow!!! tuff tag!! :)

Nat said...

Hi deeply dippy, ;)
I had such a good time reading your last post and all of its links.
I remember coming to India and staying at my nani's house and using those far away toilets. I was so mortified that all the neighbours around saw me going to handle my business. I think thats where I learned to slouch...uff.
And I thought I was the only one with the perverted mind that made me blush at certain lyrics...ROTFL!!

Neera said...

Loved reading ur old posts ..esp the one on old words and architecture being replaced. I spent a good 14 years of my life in a government quarter with isolated bathrooms, 2 verandas which had multipurpose uses and it always makes me smile to learn what life used to be before that.
Good to know about your kids as well. You know I keep thinking about you a lot these days ..what are your thoughts and feelings now that your kids are all grown up and 3 of them, I believe away. Would love to read more about that :)
Loved Desiderata ..hadn't read it before but have bookmarked it now for repeated reference.
Great knowing u more :)

Thinking Cramps said...

I went back and read the posts you linked to. The one on the bathrooms and kitches was amazing. It is so true. A whole bunch of concepts has died with the outdoor toilet and the separate kitchen.

My father has hilarious stories of the 'lavatory' in his Allahabad days. Makeshift loos with corrugated sheets for doors, they didn't even have locks on them! I think I should do a post about it sometime!

Unknown said...

The tag is done. This one was kind of fun. Made me go through the past and rediscover things I had written.

Unknown said...

I loved your architecture and language post as well. Lovely. I have some hazy memories of going to some relatives' place where the toilet was on the 1 st floor (2nd floor for American readers) and was literally a hole in the floor. You did your...ummm...business and then tried not to hear it making its way down this vertical shaft and landing somewhere. Into a container euphemestically called a 'gamla,' or flowerpot. Riiiight! There were no flowers blooming there, boy.

Makes me retch thinking about it.
Of course, I was also really little and terrified that I was going to slip through that hole and drop down. Yikes!

noon said...

Hi Dipali - really enjoyed this. Your tribute to your pal was simply awesome! So nicely written. And loved the gentle humor in the letter to the resident engg. Desiderata - I had a huge poster of it in my dorm room and so many photos with friends was shot when we sat by it - so we called it our portrait corner...strangely your mention of it brought back memories of all those times!

Unknown said...

Dips -lovely post . I loved the account pf your kids and their comments ! Also the nostalgic one on bathrooms , kitchens et al . Such lovely forgotten words - guslkhana and baithakkhana - reminded me of Lucknow ..

Anonymous said...

I still owe you a tag, but I've tagged you now!

dipali said...

Chakoli: We are like this only:)
Lekhni: Did you get to them posts?
Anshu: The tuff part was not really having enough relevant posts to choose from!
Nat: I like your new name, and the dippy one you gave me:)
Neera: Glad you enjoyed the posts. All four of my kids are away from home now- I'll do a post about it:)
Anamika: Looking forward to a loo post from you soon:)
Jawahara: Yes, the gamla was a sickening business. The sad part is that we still have people carrying what is euphemistically known as 'night soil' in parts of our beloved Bharat(:
Noon: Thankoo- glad you liked the limericks. Desiderata is the best, really- we must be soul mates:)
Eve's Lungs: Oh, have you lived in Lucknow too? Yes, those Urdu words carried the aura of a bygone era....
Planethalder: When did I tag you? But I'm glad you tagged me, because I found Broom again:)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I read some of them, and again went over a few today. Will leave comments.

I remembered reading some of your posts - like the one about the SRE not switching off lights. I am one of those who like to switch off light switches too! I remember one of my uncles telling my Mom (when I was much younger) about how I followed him from room to room, switching off lights as soon as he left a room (however briefly :P)

Usha said...

guess what, I recollected everyone of the post without having to go back to them - just goes to show how memorable each of them is!

dipali said...

Lekhni: The battle continues. And now that its cold the maid often leaves the geyser on in the bathroom where she washes clothes. My poor electricity bill(:
Usha: Wow, what a wonderful compliment. Thanks:)

Anonymous said...

:-)))