Friday, December 21, 2007

The Young Traveller- a lullaby tale

This post is inspired by Y's search for a good lullaby for Peanut.
Many many years ago, when my youngest was tiny, he would require much lulling to sleep.
His eldest sibling was already away at college, a non-resident child, so Sister No. 2 did much of the necessary baby-walking. (He wasn't a baby who needed baby-sitting- he demanded a couple of miles walking before he'd allow himself to sleep). He liked the 'vertical hold' position, and the little head would finally droop onto a shoulder and there would be much relief all around.
So we'd all take turns, and hats' off to the person who managed to get him to sleep.
When he was old enough to talk a little, he'd still love to be carried around when he was sleepy.
One day he asked me to sing him the " hinjay waala gaana". I had absolutely no idea what the little chap wanted. "Which song do you want? I don't know what song you're talking about".
"The song Didi sings for me on the road". ( The lane outside our house).
I was still completely clueless. Didi was summoned, and asked what song was she singing to her little brother on the road which was supposed to be the "hinjay waala gaana".
She thought for a second and then burst out laughing.
She used to sing him her version of "Nanha Munna Raahi Hoon" which went like this:

Nanha munna raahi hoon, Didi ka mein bhai hoon,
Bolo mere sangh Jai Hind, Jai Hind, Jai Hind, Jai Hind, Jai Hind.

Got it, everyone? Jai Hind!

12 comments:

~nm said...

:) So very sweet!

Sue said...

Awww... I love this song. Have sung it to The Bhablet, too!

Usha said...

The sound of jai Hind acting as lullaby - no wonder we are such a somnolent Nation! lol

Anonymous said...

ROFL!!! :)
My brother, when he heard the Aamir Khan-Rani Mukherjee song "Aati Kya Khandala", was heard singing the "elephant song"! He thought Aamir was asking Rani to get an elephant's egg!! "HAATHI KA ANDA LA"! :D

Hip Grandma said...

what is the baby who had to be walked to sleep doing now?And what a cute sister to have had the patience to do it.Hats off indeed.Season's greetings Dipali!

dipali said...

My eldest, quite adult daughter also thought it was 'haathi ka anda la'!
There are other songs which she interprets as only she can:)
The baby is now suffering class XII!
He and his 'hinjay' sister are still the best of friends- she is his chief fashion adviser, among other roles!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, everybody.

Indian in NZ said...

awww...so sweet! Which reminds me that my children don't know this song yet. I used nursery rhymes as lullaby :-)

A Muser said...

Awww! My daughter loves this song too!

Choxbox said...

that is cute! also LOL at haathi's egg!

Unknown said...

Trust a child to come up with an innovative lullaby !

Anonymous said...

you guys need to contribute your made-up songs :-).

- s.b.

Mishika said...

He told me about this long time back. I think this is the post for which I actually opened your blog, sometime around last year.