Wednesday, July 22, 2015

A mystery solved!

I'd wondered for years how coconuts were cut into beautifully uniform pieces and sold by roadside vendors. A couple of months ago the RE and I decided to buy some fruit (and bhuttas) from a local market. There was a coconut seller there too, selling whole coconuts, as well as large pieces. I asked him how he shelled the nut, and he was kind enough to give me a live demonstration! He used a screwdriver as a chisel, and a hammer, and banged and hammered away gently until the coconut was shelled, after which he cut it into large pieces.
I haven't tried this technique yet, but it didn't look too difficult.

1 comment:

Lakshmi said...

Most likely that the technique will be perfected after very many a try. I've seen this done too. Looks simple but not so easy to replicate :) I continue to get shelled coconuts from the coconut wallah.