Friday, January 11, 2013

Village Vignettes

I feel in love with this little chap when we visited his village (near Kanha National Park) last October.


The Gond villagers paint their houses sky blue, apparently in honour of Lord Shiva's throat (Neelkanth) as well as to repel insects.


I loved this ingenious storage space for firewood, under the overhanging eaves of the house.

We were walking back to the resort when there was a strange sound- an onrush of tinkling bells. For the very first time I experienced the magic of what I'd often read about- Godhuli, the cowdust hour.

4 comments:

30in2005 said...

What an adorable little boy!

dipali said...

@30 in 2005: Utterly delectable:)

Choxbox said...

Had experienced something exactly similar- Godhuli, in a dusty little villagein Kutch. That was umm lets see 2.5 decades ago! Don't remember a lot about that trip, but the cows returning is still very vivid in my head.

dipali said...

@Choxbox: It is unforgettable:)